Saturday, September 5, 2009

A New Found Land

Dear California,

Europe leaves me speechless moment after moment (especially after lugging all my crap everywhere. LOL) After London, we took a three hour train ride to the world known PARIS! Upon arriving, I tried desperately to use as much of my accent as possible. I failed...miserably, but at least I tried. We found our hostel and everything was perfect...after we look our ridiculously heavy and apparently delicate (after a couple of people were unfortunate enough to break their luggage's). I found that life abroad isn't scary at all. And, i'm learning to experience life, and live on my own...sort of. Paris was as epic as everyone makes it out to be. The streets, the buildings, and the smells, remind you how you really aren't around the corner from your beach, sunset-watching living space. You're really abroad, seeing sites which you read about or see on the television. I've learned so much about myself, about others, about life. I'm only in week 2! WEEK TWO! that's like...nothing. I don't want y'all to think i don't miss you or that i'm never coming back, though, I currently don't have a ticket back to the states.
Something hit me yesterday, and it's how unbelievable this experience is. Two weeks into this trip and i've already seen sooo much. My second day of Paris was rainy, but beautiful. I ran through the streets of Paris with a crepe in hand and no shelter to hide under. It was probably one of the most epic things i've ever experienced...I RAN THROUGH PARIS...in the RAIN. it was wonderful. I ran screaming down the street...running from under trees to overhangs and having a blast. Compared to the heat that had been the day before, I enjoyed the rain, though, I've nevered not fancied the rain. It's my favorite. That evening, I boarded my first overnight train after writing a song with dana and scott in the train terminal entitled "Turtle Love".

The turtle took his turtle shell and his green and brown eyes
Walked to the train station waiting for a surprise
A visit from his turtle love
Her name was Eponine
She was from above
And she belonged to me

chorus*
I wanna grow old with her
85 years old with her
Our love is so divine
It's worth more than gold combined

Eponine got off the train
She a fumbled a bit with her cane
Even though she's 72
she likes to move better than you

chorus*

(the end)

Now about Venice.
I totally am IN LOVE with Venice. Upon exiting the train station, I realized I was in Paradise. Looking out in front of where I stood was what looked like a dream. People in Gondola's, Canal's like the movies, and an intense heat which one could only escape if you stood beneath the shade of a tree. Sticky and hot, I hoped to find our hostel or house...i don't really know what they are, but while we waited to leave the station, a few of us couldn't resist indulging in an authentic Italian Gelato. Let me tell you, of the many flavor's i've tried, the Pistacio is to die for here. It's creamy, yet milky, yet peanut buttery, yet succulent. The best I swear! As for the streets, they're cement, but it's slick as though there's no traction, so one has to be cautious or you could end up on your bum or your knees, both of which hurt (believe me...i know. lol). For example, I was trying to get into a photo with Caits, but I moved incorrectly, and fell straight on my knees and smashed my ice cream into the floor. It was absolutely funny, but totally embarrassing as it happened in front of multitudes. LOL. We were going to go to the lido today, which is that infamous swimming area, but that didn't happen due to the clapping thunder heard nearby. So instead we walked through the streets shopping like any other person would do. Some fact about Venice is masks like those seen in a masquerade ball are found in every other shop here. They're absolutely beautiful and some are so delicately hand crafted, it's scary to touch them...but nevertheless, they're beautiful. Also, there are beggars here on the streets. Women, who sit in all black looking sickly and ill begging for money by just reaching out their hands with their cups with no eye contact. They're faces point to the ground and there is a tug at your heart because you don't know if you should feel sorry for them or if you should feel that they should do something with their lives. I haven't given any of them any money, because i don't have much myself, and well, I just don't feel very comfortable around them. NOW...for the Biennali. The Biennali is the reason why I wanted to come to Europe. It's this place where the top artists from every country display the latest and greatest in works. One piece which i will show in a later post when i have my own computer was called Constellation. It was a black room where upon looking, one saw what looked like a galaxy of the universe. Upon closer inspection and as your eyes adjust to the darkness, it was simply a display of normal everyday items one would have in a bedroom such as a computer or extension cord or a tv and the little light that usually shows when it's asleep or not in use. It was a clever piece of what i consider magic. It was beautiful but indescribably simple. I broke down last night for a few minutes just overwhelmed by the art, people and missing home. I love it here and i can't wait to continue my adventure, it was just a moment that i needed to breathe and take it all in. For now, this is me. This is my affection for european culture and my love God's wonderful creation.

-Just Love
John

2 comments:

  1. John....this is fantastic. I know exactly what you mean...running through Paris...in the rain, and the moment is just indescribable. I miss you but please continue to soak this experience in through your every pore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post John, so descriptive and beautiful....

    ...especially the bit about your fall and smashed gelato ;-)

    ReplyDelete